Sunday, December 28, 2008

Happy Holidays & Welcome to My Blog!!


It's Christmas Time! I can't think of a better time to start a blog! In order to be PC, I say, "Happy Holidays to you all!" Whatever it is that you celebrate, I hope you have a good one. I sure did and still am. I went completely festive this year. Perfectly trimmed artificial tree, full of all of the things that my children have crafted throughout the years. I'm sorry, but i despise a color coordinated Christmas tree. It seems so cold and impersonal to me. We go crazy on our tree and i let the kids put what they made on it, this way we can we can remember each year. lol, my husband called our tree a "Kwanzaa Tree". It is very colorful and i arranged a piece of beautiful fabric at the base of the tree. The fabric has a very distinct African textile motif to it and was very complimentary to the tree. OK please don't hate on the fact that my tree is artificial. It is. Real trees are just too much work as far as I am concerned. Consider it me, being green... By not killing a tree every year am I not helping the environment? I had lovely candles throughout the house with scents like apple Cinnamon and cranberry. We hung stockings over the fireplace, much to my daughters delight. I hosted 15 for dinner on Christmas Night. It was like a black version of a Norman Rockwell Painting over here! For real! I stayed up all night on Christmas Eve and prepared what I consider to be a traditional African American Christmas Dinner. It consisted of: Turkey, Ham, Greens, Macaroni & Cheese, CornBread Dressing, Sweet Potatoes, Corn, Several Pies and Cakes, and Dinner Rolls. Leave your diets at the door! Our guests consisted of family and friends. Everyone that came, brought a dish or a bottle. I believe that is a cultural thing as well: To bring something for the host when invited to a party. I don't know. It's how I was raised, and how we all did things in my generation, so... Give me some feedback on that, as to whether its an etiquette thing or a cultural thing. 15 in all, we greeted, caught up with each other, introductions made where necessary, a prayer circle where everyone told of their blessings, a blessing over the food, and then the feast. Traditional for us is: All food is set up in the kitchen buffet style, every pan or dish holds a different treasure. People help themselves. Tables and chairs are set up in other rooms. Most are at the large table, kids at another table. We are working class folk and that's how we do it. As we eat, we laugh, talk loud, tell stories, sing songs. Christmas music plays in the background as we enjoy each other on this Christmas Holiday. I look around the room, panning, I see, My mother, my daughter, my husband, my son, my aunt, my sister, my stepdad, my good friend, a new friend, an old friend, etc. All smiling. All happy. I couldn't ask for a better Christmas.

For New Years Eve, I will be hosting another gathering.


Menu: Gumbo, Cornbread, Corn, Greens, Black Eyed Peas, & Rice

Guests: Family & Friends

Stay Tuned!!

1 comment:

  1. I would say, in my view, bringing things to a party or dinner as you describe is more courtesy (a lost virtue these days) than culture. From what I have read in your blog so far, you seem to be good people over there, and I would definitely bring something nice to your place...if ever invited that is. I wish you a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for taking the time to leave a comment. Comments that include links will not be approved. ~Peace